2018 FIFA Russia World Cup - Security Blog
We will be providing live coverage of security related incidents with in depth post incident analysis. If you would like to keep abreast of security related incidents during the tournament you can follow us on Twitter @intellfusion or via the hashtag #WorldCupIF
Thursday 5th July 2018
- Alexander Shprygin, who was among Russian fans deported from France after violent clashes during Euro 2016, says there won't be any incidents at the World Cup. LINK TO ARTICLE
Wednesday 4th July 2018
- A car struck six pedestrians in the Dragomys district of Sochi after the driver allegedly fell asleep at the wheel. One person died.
Monday 2nd July 2018
- A Brazilian author, who is black, was racially taunted by a Mexican supporter at the Cosmos Arena in Samara, during the Brazil vs Mexico game. The Brazilian stated that the fan pointed at him and acted like a monkey.
Sunday 1st July 2018
- Police arrested a man who took a shop assistant hostage in a supermarket in the north of Moscow. The perpetrator, who was alllegdly drunk and armed with a knife, demanded 300,000 rubles ($4,700) from the female shop assistant he took hostage. The woman sustained minor injuries during the incident. The man claimed that he was a drug addict and carried out the act to draw attention to his needs.
Saturday 30th June 2018
- Argentinian fans started fighting one another in the stands of Kazan stadium after Argentina lost to France. A video published following the game showed fans in Argentine shirts aiming several kicks and punches at a man, including one final kick to the head while he was laid on the ground.
Friday 29th June 2018
- Police arrested a man at Moscow Airport after a false bomb threat. Officials said no bomb was found and the airport was operating normally after the incident.
Thursday 28th June 2018
- An Argentinian tourist was robbed at their hotel in the Ptrogradsky District of St Petersburg.
Wednesday 27th June 2018
- Anti-terror police reportedly heighten World Cup security ahead of the England vs. Belgium match after authorities uncovered 'credible' threats on the internet.
- Serbian and Brazilian fans brawled at the Spartak Stadium in Moscow. Fighting broke out between rival supporters, which resulted in nine people being arrested. LINK TO ARTICLE LINK TO VIDEO
- A man with an Israeli flag was harassed and chased around Moscow's Red Square by men shouting "Palestine", on of which was wearing a Tunisian flag. The hecklers shouted “Israel the whore” in Arabic, “get lost,” and “f*** you”. About five people then shouted “Viva Palestine” while waving the Tunisian flag. LINK TO ARTICLE
Tuesday 26th June 2018
- A series of hoax bomb threats in Rostov on Don triggered evacuations at multiple venues across the city. "Police forces made all necessary checks and no dangerous objects were found" security forces were quoted as saying. COMMENT: Russia regularly witnesses incidents of mass bomb hoax threats. In Sep 2017, bomb hoaxes lead to 100,000 people being evacuated from stations airports, universitites, hospitals and hotels in Moscow. COMMENT ENDS
Friday 22nd June 2018
- A Brazil fan was stabbed and injured during a fight in St Petersburg. He was stabbed by another Brazil fan in a 'private matter' as they watched Brazil defeat Costa Rica. The injured man was taken to hospital where he is in a 'grave condition'.
- The President of the Brazilian FA has been accused of throwing a glass at a Brazilian supporter's head in Russia. The president, Antonio Carlos Nunes, was with a delegation of the Brazilian FA at a restaurant in St Petersburg when a Brazil fan reportedly made a comment and hit Nunes lightly on the back. Nunes took exception to the comment and threw a glass at the fan's head. The restaurant was immediately closed.
Thursday 21st June 2018
- Peruvian fan assaulted and robbed by local 36 year old Russian man on Botanicheskaya street in Yekaterinburg. LINK TO ARTICLE
- At least three Argentinian fans were injured during a confrontation outside the stadium in Nizhni Novgorod. The incident happened before the match between Argentina and Croatia. Russia's World Cup organizing committee said on Friday seven Argentinians had been detained by police after fighting with Croatian fans at a match on Thursday.
Wednesday 20th June 2018
- Fans at the World Cup match between Portugal and Morocco were filmed trying to snatch an Israeli flag away from other fans during an incident in the Luzhniki Stadium.
Tuesday 19th June 2018
- Around 40 - 50 football fans scuffled and threw chairs after a live screening of Poland's 2-1 World Cup defeat to Senegal at an outdoor cafe in Antwerp in Belgium. LINK TO ARTICLE
- Colombian singer had almost $800,000 worth of valuables stolen from his hotel room at the Four Seasons, Moscow. An intruder posing as Maluma's guest stole a number of valuables from the hotel room including a Louis Vuitton bag, 11 luxury watches, items of Cartier jewellery and 10 glasses studded with diamonds and pearls. According to TASS, which also cited a police source, an individual was given a duplicate of the electronic key card in order to enter Maluma's room.
Monday 18th June 2018
- Two British men have been removed from a train travelling from Moscow to Volgograd. One was detained after an altercation with a police officer on the train in which he allegedly tried to grab the officer's gun. The second man was removed after punching a window and breaking it. Both men were removed from the train at Yelets station and charged with minor hooliganism and being drunk in public. LINK TO ARTICLE
- Two 'foreigners' reportedly stole 84,000 Rubles ($1400 USD) from a Brazilian tourist in Moscow. Police detained two 37 year old 'foreigners' who stole from a Brazilian person under the pretext of checking documents. They approached the victim in the street, introduced themselves as police officers and on the pretext of checking documents demanded the passport of the Brazilian. The 'foreigners' then stole 84,000 Rubles ($1400 USD) and fled in a car. LINK TO ARTICLE
Sunday 17th June 2018
- Columbian woman arrested for stealing two World Cup tickets and 200 Rubles in Moscow. The elderly Columbian woman stole two used tickets for a Germany-Mexico game and 200 Rubles ($3 USD) outside Park Kultury metro station.
Saturday 16th June 2018
- At least eight people were injured after a taxi collided with pedestrians on 4 Ulitsa Il'inka in central Moscow. The driver attempted to flee the site of the crash but was arrested by police. Some sources claim the victims were Mexico football fans. LINK TO POST INCIDENT REPORT
- The British tabloid newspaper, The Mirror, published an article showing one of their reporters being able to buy deactivated firearms at a shopping centre in Moscow. In Europe, deatctivated firearms are regularly reconverted into lethal firearms and sold to criminals and occasionally terrorists. COMMENT: It seems likely that extremist groups with sophisticated support networks would have the ability to convert these deactivated firearms into lethal weapons, however, those groups likely also have a significant logistical supply of weapons already, without the need to convert firearms. COMMENT ENDS LINK TO ARTICLE
- Fox sports journalist was verbally abused outside his hotel in Moscow. Alexi Lalas confronted by angry football fan, which reportedly went well beyond what someone in his position might usually expect. LINK TO ARTICLE
Friday 15th June 2018
- A Spanish and Portuguese fan were filmed brawling outside a nightspot overnight in Sochi. The timing and exact location is unclear. LINK TO VIDEO
Thursday 14th June 2018
- In Moscow, a Twitter video showed Moroccan football supporters reportedly cursing Saudi Arabian supporters, chanting 'traitors' and other expletives. LINK TO VIDEO
- In another video, the Moroccan supporters are seen holding Russian, Syrian and Moroccan flags while chanting 'Russia, Russia, Russia' at Saudi Arabian supporters. LINK TO VIDEO
- Police detained British gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell in Moscow for an illegal protest. Tatchell was protesting alleged human rights abuses committed against gay men in Chechnya. LINK TO ARTICLE
- Islamic State released images calling for lone wolf attacks during the World Cup. The images showed Islamic State drones over stadiums in Sochi, with numerous bomb blasts targeting the stadiums. LINK TO ARTICLE
- A Peruvian woman was reportedly arrested near Red Square for pickpocketing. The woman arrived from Lima two days previously and was in Russia to watch Peru vs Denmark. LINK TO ARTICLE
- A fight broke out at the Beverly Hills dinner inside a shopping mall in downtown Moscow, between Mexican national team football fans, and unidentified men. The fight was broken up by other individuals at the scene. It is believed alcohol was a contributing factor to the fight. LINK TO VIDEO
Monday 11th June 2018
- An England fan was allegedly robbed and beaten by five local men in Moscow. The England fan was reportedly drunk at the time of the attack and was forced to withdraw money from a cash machine. LINK TO ARTICLE
Saturday 9th June 2018
- A French gay man and a friend suffered serious injuries after being beaten by two men in St Petersburg. The Frenchman suffered head and brain injuries, as well as a fractured jaw. LINK TO ARTICLE
If you’re currently in Russia or due to travel in the coming weeks, download our FREE Quick Guide for Travellers to the 2018 FIFA Russia World Cup that includes a complete rundown of the current situation and possible dangers as well as providing advice and guidance on how to remain vigilant and manage risk when travelling to and around Russia for the World Cup tournament.